Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Paper and Ink Arts Haul #2 for Christmas!

My baby let me choose whatever I wanted from Paper and Ink Arts for Christmas! <3 Here's what I chose:

Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy by Eleanor Winters USD14.95


Eleanor Winters is holding calligraphy classes in SG soon! Since I'm unable to go, I got her book instead so I can learn step-by-step copperplate. I've read some of it so far and it's really good. It talks about miniscules, majuscules, the history behind the script and how strokes should be formed.

Walnut Ink Crystals 1oz USD2.95


Walnut Ink is a really pretty dark sepia colour and these just have to be mixed with water to form ink. It's a little hard to mix though, I ground it in for a good 10 minutes. Haha.

Winsor Newton Calligraphy Ink, Matte Black USD4.50


Matt Black and they mean business. This ink is really black, it's really dark, and it dries with a matt finish. No gloss here, and it dries with texture raised on the paper. This is my new favourite black ink!

Winsor Newton Calligraphy Ink, Dark Blue USD4.50


WN is one of my favourite inks, except for the bottle design. It's really hard to dip my oblique penholder in! I got all the primary colours so I can mix and match haha.

Winsor Newton Calligraphy Ink, Crimson USD4.50


Winsor Newton Calligraphy Ink, Lemon Yellow USD4.50


Higgins Eternal Non-Waterproof Ink USD4.50


This. Smells. HORRIBLE. Erm, that aside, Higgins Eternal is the one ink that's been cropping up again and again on recommendations. It's a little thin before first use, so I just left it out to thicken for awhile. I can't get over the smell though, especially since I write with my face so close to the paper. It burns my eyes.

Carrot Oblique Holder USD21.00


One of the most comfortable holders I've used! The angle's a little hard to get used to at first, but it's really easy to grip and perfect for small hands :B

Nikko G Pointed Nib USD1.55


This nib is really, really pointed and it catches a lot on the paper. I've never really trusted shiny nibs for their ink capacities. The flex, however, is nice and even. I don't know. I have mixed feelings for this nib.

Mitchell Copperplate Elbow Nib USD1.65


Hmmm... More rigid than I thought it'd be, but it's lovely to use with my straight penholders! It also has a good ink capacity. With more practice, I think this would work very well.

Hiro 111 EF Nib USD0.89


Also known as the Leonardt Principal Nib. It's not too bad, but it's a shiny nib, which means ink capacity is next to nil :(

Hunt 101 Nib USD1.39


This IS my favourite nib of the moment. Works well with viscous inks and the writing is so smooth; it never catches. Even better than the...

Gillott 303 Nib USD 0.73


Still a good nib for practice, though. I used this to write a 3 page copperplate letter to my penpal! The least tiring nib to use still. xx

Copperplate Practice Pad USD6.95


I love this pad, the quality is excellent and the guidelines are light and very helpful.



That's all for this haul. Thanks baby for all these calligraphy goodies! I love you xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment