Thursday, 22 May 2014

I'm so excited!

In late June, baby and I will be going to visit Shawn in Sydney, finally. He's been studying there since Feb 2013 and we haven't had a chance to go over yet. So, having never been there as an adult... (I went once when I was a kid, I think, so not many memories from then)

I'm excited to check out the wildlife but less enthused about finding one in my shoe.

Read this.

And this:


Hahaha, alright, I know the comic's an exaggeration, but it's pretty true that Australia has so many animals that could kill you... I don't mind the Taipans, Sharks and Crocs, but I am terrified of spiders, so I've already warned Shawn that just ONE spider that looks remotely like the Redback or a Funnel Web and I'm getting the hell outta there.

I watch a lot of nature documentaries, so I'm proper afraid of all arachnids (I had two nightmares in a week about them, inadvertently woke him up by yelling in my sleep). The Sydney Funnel Web Spider is high on the list of suspects though. Its venom can kill a human within 40 minutes, and it's covered in shining black armour like some sort of eight-legged, super pissed off, crazy fast-moving Darth Vader. Did I mention that it's one of the most aggressive spiders? Apparently just breathing on it can cause it to go into the 'warning' stance where it rears up and looks even more frightening. And then it strikes.

With that said, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the wildlife in Sydney! Bar all arachnids.

No comments:

Post a Comment